Program Description

The Livestock Forage Disaster Program (LFP) offers payments to eligible livestock producers with covered livestock. The payments help with grazing losses suffered on native or improved pastureland. This can be land with permanent or planted grazing cover. LFP also provides for livestock producers on rangeland managed by a federal agency, if the agency prohibits grazing on the land due to a qualifying fire.

Farm Service Agency (FSA) will calculate payments equal to 1, 3, 4 or 5 times the LFP monthly payment rate. The payment rate for drought is equal to 60 percent of the lessor of the monthly feed cost. They calculate this by using the normal carrying capacity of the grazing land.

View the LFP page to get more details.

General Program Requirements

We calculate LFP payments based on the U.S. Drought Monitor rating for your county. If you suffered losses on eligible grazing or pasture land you own or lease, you may qualify for assistance.

If your county is rated

Your loss during the normal grazing period was:

You may get assistance payments equal to:

 D2 (severe drought)

 At least eight consecutive weeks

 One month

 D3 (extreme drought)

 At any time

 Three months

 D3 (extreme drought)

 At least four weeks

 Four months

 D4 (exceptional drought)

 At any time

 Four months

 D4 (exceptional drought)

 Four weeks, not necessarily  consecutive

 Five months

The eligible livestock that would normally graze your land may include:

  • Alpacas, llamas
  • Beef & dairy cattle, beefalo, buffalo
  • Deer, elk, reindeer
  • Emus, Poultry
  • Equine, goats, sheep, swine

As a livestock producer you must:

  • Own, cash or share lease, or be a contract grower of eligible livestock during the 60 calendar days before the beginning date of a qualifying drought or fire.
  • Provide pastureland or grazing land for eligible livestock, including cash-rented land that is either:
    1. Physically located in an eligible county, or
    2. Managed by a federal agency that has prohibited you from grazing because of fire.
  • Certify that you have suffered a grazing loss because of qualifying drought or fire.
  • File a timely acreage report for your loss claim.

Application Process

For grazing losses in 2018 and future calendar years, you must submit an application for payment. You must apply within 30 calendar days after the calendar year end of the loss year. Submit your application and all supporting documents to your local FSA office.

Last Updated: 07/25/2018