Program Description

If you're a Veteran or Servicemember with a serious service-connected disability, you may be able to get a housing grant from Veterans Affairs (VA).

Two grant programs exist: The Specially Adapted Housing (SAH) grant and the Special Housing Adaptation (SHA) grant. You may use a grant to buy or build an adapted home, or modify an existing home to meet your needs. These grants can help you live independently in a barrier-free setting.

You may use an SAH grant for one of the following:

  • Build a specially adapted home on land you already own or land you are buying.
  • Remodel an existing home, if adaptable, to meet your needs.
  • Apply the grant to the mortgage balance of an adapted home not bought using VA grant funds.

You may use an SHA grant for one of the following:

  • Adapt the home you currently live in that you or a family member already own.
  • Adapt a home for you to live in that you or a family member are buying.
  • Help you buy a home to live in that's already adapted.

Under either program, you may also be able to get a Temporary Residence Adaptation (TRA) grant. You may use this grant if you are or will temporarily live in a home owned by a family member; certain limits apply.

The SAH program also administers Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment (VR&E) Housing Adaptation Assistance through the Independent Living program. VR&E may provide home adaptations to those who are not currently able to work for the following reasons:

  • Due to the effects of their service-connected disabilities, or
  • Because they require adaptations to achieve an employment goal.

The benefits are limited to those required to improve independence at home or in the community. Visit Housing Grants for Disabled Veterans  or Independent Living to learn more.

General Program Requirements

The SAH and SHA grants are for Veterans and Servicemembers with certain permanent and total service-connected disabilities.

For the SAH grant, your disability may include any of the following:

  • Loss or loss of use of both legs.
  • Loss or loss of use of both arms.
  • Blindness in both eyes having only light perception, plus loss or loss of use of one leg.
  • The loss or loss of use of one lower leg together with residuals of organic disease or injury.
  • The loss or loss of use of one leg together with the loss or loss of use of one arm.
  • Certain severe burns.
  • The loss or loss of use of one or more lower limbs due to service on or after September 11, 2001. This must affect your balance or movement, and hinder walking without the aid of braces, crutches, canes, or a wheelchair. (Limited to 30 participants per fiscal year.)

For the SHA grant, your disability may include any of the following:

  • Blindness in both eyes with 20/200 vision or less.
  • Loss or loss of use of both hands.
  • Certain severe burn injuries.
  • Certain severe respiratory injuries.

You have a maximum of three grants uses up to the maximum dollar limit.

If you get an SAH grant, you may also qualify for Veterans Mortgage Life Insurance. This provides coverage on home mortgages up to $200,000. You can go to Veterans Mortgage Life Insurance (VMLI) to learn more.

To get VA benefits, your discharge or service must be other than dishonorable (e.g., honorable, under honorable conditions, general); Reserve and National Guard members must have an honorable discharge.

Sometimes those with undesirable, bad conduct, and other types of dishonorable discharges may qualify for VA benefits. This depends on a determination by VA.

Application Process

To apply, use VA Form 26-4555 (PDF, 400 KB), Veteran's Application In Acquiring Specially Adapted Housing or Special Home Adaptation Grant and mail it to your closest Regional Loan Center.

You may also visit a local VA regional office or call 1-800-827-1000.

Last Updated: 01/22/2020