Don't let a disaster come between you and your money.
Do you get federal benefit payments by paper check? If so, you can switch to direct deposit. It’s fast, safe, easy, and gives you more control over your money.
You may choose from two electronic payment options:
- Direct Deposit – Automatically deposit your money directly into your checking or savings account each month. This removes the risk of a delayed payment due to a disaster event.
- Direct Express® Debit MasterCard® – Get a prepaid debit card to use to make purchases, pay bills, and get cash back. It’s a no- or low-cost option.
If you get federal benefit payments by paper check, you must now, by law, switch to electronic payments.
General Program Requirements
You can switch to direct deposit if you get a paper check from any of the following:
- Social Security Administration (SSA)
- Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
- Veterans Affairs (VA) (Compensation, pension, and some education payments)
- Railroad Retirement Board (RRB)
- Office of Personnel Management (OPM)
Choose from the options below to sign up for direct deposit:
To sign up for the Direct Express card, call 1-800-333-1975.
You will need to provide some personal information to complete the enrollment process. We send your enrollment information directly to the federal paying agencies.