Are you disabled and divorced from an ex-spouse who died? If so, you may qualify for benefits as a surviving divorced spouse.
Learn more on the If You Are The Survivor: Surviving Divorced Spouse page. You may also want to read the Disability Benefits: Benefits For Disabled Widows Or Widowers page.
General Program Requirements
If you're disabled and a surviving divorced spouse, you must meet the conditions below to qualify for benefits:
- Be at least age 50 but under 60.
- Were married to your ex-spouse at least 10 years.
- Have evidence of a finalized divorce
- Meet the disability-related requirements.
- Be unmarried, unless you remarried after age 50.
- Are not entitled to a higher Social Security retirement benefit based on your own record.
Visit the Benefits For Disabled Widows or Widowers page for details on how to apply.
If you want to apply for these benefits as a survivor, call the phone number below to make an appointment.
To find out what other Social Security benefits you may qualify for, use the SSA Benefit Eligibility Screening Tool (BEST) on Benefits.gov. When you complete the questionnaire, you get a list of benefits to review. You can print this page for your records.
When you know which benefits you may apply for, visit the Apply for Social Security Benefits page to apply online. You can also call the phone number below to learn more about benefits or to set up an appointment.