Foreign Disasters

  • If you or your family are U.S. citizens caught in a disaster or crisis in a foreign country, see Get Help in an Emergency. The U.S. Department of State (DOS) and U.S. Embassy work together to help.

    Are You Caught in a Foreign Crisis?

    If you find yourself caught in a foreign crisis and need information:

    • Register with the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to get local updates from the U.S. Embassy or Consulate in your area. This also helps to let the Embassy contact you.
    • Check the Bureau of Consular Affairs’ and U.S. Embassy’s Alerts and Warnings page for general updates.
    • Check local and social media for announcements.
    • Federal government employees should get a country clearance and stay in contact with the U.S. Embassy.
  • Are You Concerned About Family Abroad?

    If you’re in the U.S., but are concerned about family who may be caught in a foreign crisis, you can call the Office of American Citizens Services and Crisis Management (ACS). They can inform you about conditions that may affect safety and security. Also, travel warnings and alerts, and country-specific information.

    • 1-888-407-4747 (From the U.S. and Canada)
    • 1-202-501-4444 (From Overseas)
  • Were You Affected by a Terrorist Attack Abroad?

    If you or your family were affected by a terrorist attack in a foreign country, the International Terrorism Victim Expense Reimbursement Program (ITVERP) may help. The program reimburses certain expenses for qualified victims of a designated terrorist incident. Check the Terrorist Incident Designation List to see if your incident is listed.

  • Do You Want to Help Support Disaster Response Abroad?

    If you want to help disaster survivors in a foreign country, it’s best to donate to a trusted humanitarian group working in that area. Visit the U.S. Agency for International Development's (USAID) How to Help page to learn about groups that make the most of cash or material donations.